Saturday, October 29, 2016

Sickness

Just when you're sitting around feeling sorry for yourself the real world can sashay in and make you feel like the world's biggest pussy.  Here I was sitting here somewhere in between migraine and depression and I come across Lake Nyos.  Good night, Cameroon!  Everybody was going about their business one day when this lovely volcanic lake belched and left 1700+ unsuspecting people dead.  It's true.  The lake belched out a massive CO2 cloud that raced down two valleys at 60 mph and pretty much decimated 3 villages and all their cows, pigs and chickens.

Just like that.

I don't know why this fascinates me so but it does, at least for now.  It is entirely possible that I'll forget by tomorrow and at some point years down the line I'll come across the story again like it's the first time and I'll say,

Holy shit, that's fucked up.

Just like the very first time.  I can't even say I've never read about Lake Nyos before today, so there you go.

Life is pretty tenuous.

No comments: