Thursday, May 19, 2016

Quotable

"Sometimes you have to live in precarious and temporary places.  Unsuitable places. Wrong places. Sometimes the safe place won't help you." - Jeanette Winterson, Why Be Happy...
And sometimes you need perspective and you find the familiar in a stranger. 
The ride today was uneventful.  Even got a seat after Grand Central and that brought some temporary relief for the long rip going up the left side of my back.  There were only two black men cuffed and questioned in the station at 125th, as opposed to the usual half dozen. The cops are being uncharacteristically merciful, or maybe even they've gotten tired of the bullshit.  It seems like a quiet day and I am feeling momentarily blessed in a secular sort of way so I gave a guy outside the Dunkin Donuts a dollar and he showed me his summer teeth and invited me back to buy more coffee at lunch time.
The Breakfast Club was stooped on the ramp watching the world and listening to one elder expound on what white girls smell like.  Cheer up, White Girls.  You're getting good reviews out here on the street.  Keep it up, whatever you're doing.
What is it the kids say? 
Oh.
Shaking my damn head.
I am where I need to be.
For today.
Tomorrow?
Not sure yet.

No comments: