Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Weird scenes inside the gold mine...

You know the day has no place to go but up when the first news story you hear is about a man arrested for having sex with the corpse of a 92 year old woman.

It's a superstitious thing that I sometimes have to work at not letting become a self-fulfilling prophecy--this tendency to forecast the day by the nature of the first bit of news I hear. There are days when the connection is too close.

At just past 6 a.m. on the morning of September 11, 2001, for example, I wrote in my diary, "9/11--I hope this day doesn't live up to its name." No lie. I had just awakened feeling like crap and was trying to navigate a coffee mug to my lips. And of course we all know the rest of this story. Now I even resent that the term 911 has been coopted as a political slogan...

It's not just your emergency number, nor just a really funny song by Public Enemy...

Anyway, the first news story of today was pretty friggin' weird. Thanks ABC!

****Further thoughts on this: I realize that every TV news show, especially in the short-attention-span early a.m. hours, looks for the biggest hook for the lead story, but it disturbs me that this one is it. There simply MUST be real news that they're overlooking and/or covering up in order to parade this garish horseshit on the morning news.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Interestingly, I was just watching this video yesterday.

MacGregor Rucker said...

Ooooh another case of rock music leading the youth astray....

celticgods said...

I was born in that hospital!!!

MacGregor Rucker said...

Creeeeeeepy, CG...

It's a weird world.