Wednesday, October 03, 2007

It's A Man's Man's Man's World

There's just no denying that. Anybody who says otherwise is either blind or just plain dumb.

But hopefully THIS VERDICT will be a big step towards making it a better place for women in the workplace. The only downside to the whole affair is that Isiah Thomas doesn't have to pay too. This clearly delivers a message though and I hope corporate America takes notice. This passage says it all:

"One day my daughter will go out to work; this was done for her and all women," Browne Sanders said as a bottle of champagne sat on ice in her lawyers' offices in Times Square.

"If you have a sister, a mother, a daughter or wife who goes to work each day, if you are a man you should be outraged" by sex harassment, she added. "It is something that occurs everywhere."

I want to hear more of that, from more men and from more women. I really believe this is a positive outcome.

4 comments:

Jimmy Sligo said...

The other side of the coin is that a lot of women in the workplace are really just aggravating b*tches.

And if any obstruction, legitimate or not, is placed in some of their career paths, they cry "harassment."

The glass ceiling is there for a reason. Men have far more natural-born leadership abilities.

and don't get me started on women drivers again.

MacGregor Rucker said...

Oy!!! Jimmy!!! Let me get this straight again: You're married, and I'm terminally single... Just checking.

Bina said...

I had to make a complaint about sexual harrassment once in the very first company I worked for, when I was only 22. The person who I was complaining against was 30, and a PhD, and had far more value to the company than I did. And he had a green card, while I was still on student training... if I'd been in that situation now, I would have thought twice about making the complaint. But luckily the people I worked for (I was the first and only female employee there for a good nine months) were honorable people and listened to my complaint and gave it the attention it deserved.

It was an excruciating experience. I had to deal with the humiliation of the derogatory comments that were being made toward me, and then I had to repeat those comments to my bosses. It was so embarrassing that I couldn't bring myself to say them. I had to type them on my computer and ask my bosses to read what I'd typed.

The backlash from the person I'd complained against was equally unpleasant. I became quite frightened.

After a month, I quit.

Sexual harrassment is real. And it is scary when you are young, defenceless, and alone.

MacGregor Rucker said...

Bina--Your situation is so much more common than most people would imagine. Yet the situation remains complex. Some co-workers will develop a rapport that includes conversations etc that would be entirely inappropriate with others. And despite attention paid to the issue, many employers remain insensitive to the complaints, beyond considering it a nuisance. Complaints are still often met with skepticism, derision and persecution... But on a level of personal responsibilities, people need to set limits, and enforce their own limits, and moreover, those who don't respect a person's limits need to be hammered.